Yesterday September 10, 2019 is a day referred to as Black Tuesday in Federal University Oye-Ekiti as a result of a protest leading to uproar and the death and injury of up to 10 people.

Different version of the incident has been carried by the media, but here we reveal the untold truth about the Fuoye Commotion and the Fate of Fuoye community.

The Origin of the Protest

The issue of Inadequate power supply as been as issue in Nigeria as a whole. The light issue in Oye and Ikole is quite appalling. The students have kept quiet for a while but they just can't take it anymore.

Last semester (2018/2019) in Ikole Campus, there was a protest which brought results for a while but it seems the electricity distribution officials aka NEPA have failed to fulfill their promises.

In the morning students on both campuses (Ikole and Oye) got to school only to see the gates locked. Students are tired of reading in the dark! The students of Fuoye living off campus deserve and need light to excel.

Heartbreaking to see the misinformation published on top blogs and websites in the country concerning the Fuoye student's protest. The students didn't attack Mrs Bisi Fayemi (Wife of the State Governor), she technically did!

The students on both campuses (Oye and Ikole) went out for a peaceful protest…

Why Protest?

The epileptic power supply on both campuses is so appaling…..
Some students in Ikole were having lectures when the members of the SUG called the students out for a peaceful protest… The students went out en masse for the protest! and locked the NEPA office , they then went to the palace of the King of Ikole.

Not long after they heard that a student of Ikole who happened to be a class govenor in 100L had been shot dead by the police! This young man went to join is fellow comrades in Oye campus only to get shot in the EYE!
They got angry, went back to the NEPA office and burnt it down…thankfully no one was in the building.

Oye Campus Experience

Fortunately and unfortunately Mrs Bisi Fayemi's was with her convoy on a tour passing through the Oye/Ikole road then students stopped her at Oye hoping she could hear them out with the issue on ground, and this lead to the Fuoye Commotion.

FUOYE Students Union President, Comrade Oluwaseun Awodola, however denied the students attacked the Governor wife’s convoy.

He said…

I was sleeping when my PA came that the army official wants to see me. I went to the official and we approached the road.

On getting to the road side which was closed to the police office, the Mopol said the CSO was around.

All of a sudden a CPU(moral) official from nowhere came and slapped me.

Immediately the CSO was begging me and other security officials

Students came over and they were like they want to see the person that slapped me.

At first i was aggrieved but later I was calm. We left the scene then the CSO was like once we get to the Governor’s office the police officer will apologise.

Nobody attacked the convoy of the Governor’s wife. We already agreed we will be having a meeting with the Special Adviser to the Governor and NLC executives tomorrow by 10am before we meet at the school gate tomorrow.

All of a sudden, a Mopol official fired gun shots. Immediately, students were like why did he shoot?

The CSO to the Governor came immediately and told the Mopol to stop shooting.

They started shooting teargas, gun and the likes. Then students started throwing stones that was how everything started.

Nobody attacked the governor’s wife convoy. We ended the protest around 2pm,”

The Point Where Trouble Started…

With all that's happened so far to this stage, with student on the verge of anger because the Student Union President was slapped, the police officers started manhandling and chasing the students.

The students repelled by stoning the officer and the police started shooting our students sporadically which led to the death of one and several were injured.

According to the report students did not lead the attack until the governor escort started the shoot out on students and the news reports that are convoy vehicle's where destroyed and that she escaped in Ayegbaju, which is not true.

Where Petrol got mixed inside Fire

When the students realized a fellow student had been attacked they went wild and attacked the police men.

So far 4 students are dead, 2 injured and 3 policemen are dead.
The policemen went further to go to Student hostel to shoot and fire tear gas!

The Fate of Fuoye by the Management

Following the unfortunate incident acted out by some youths in Oye Ekiti earlier today, the authorities of the Federal University Oye Ekiti (FUOYE) hereby announces the immediate and indefinite closure of the university to forestall further breakdown of law and order.

In the same vein, the Students Union of the Institution is disbanded indefinitely.

Following this closure, the students population are hereby ordered to vacate the university premises no later than 10am tomorrow 11th September 2019.

Stay tunned as we will definitely communicate and further developments in due course.

Got your side of the story? Please feel free to share in the comment section below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

3 replies on “Revealing The Untold Truth About Yesterday’s Fuoye Commotion and The Fate of Fuoye”